Saturday, April 10, 2010

I might just move into the library.


In case you weren't already sure, I am in college. This means that I have to do things like write a five-or-six page paper on post-revolutionary social shifts in Tehran. By Tuesday. Have I started? Sort of. I've been carrying around a lot of books for several days, and today I am looking at the books. The only good thing to come out of this project so far is material for the Literacy Blogging Challenge.

A consistent motif in all the articles I've read about the status of women in Tehran is the veil or chador. My current Gender Studies prof is always getting up in arms about the Western perception of "veiled women" in this part of the world. She feels that white supremacist American pseudo-feminists are always advocating wars and interventions in order to unveil these women, who they perceive to be victims of their Islamic states. "I think that's pathetic," she says. "Women have been kicking butt in the veil since forever." I think she is probably right.

While I do this important feminist research, I am listening to "Daddy's Home" by Usher (lyrical content: about what you would expect), "I Can Transform Ya" by Chris Brown ft. Lil Wayne and Swizz Beats (lyrical content: appropriate for Chris Brown), and "College Chicks" by G Side (lyrical content: makes me thankful G Side too obscure for my mother to google). Problematic? Whatever. Let's not scapegoat rap music, please.

8 comments:

  1. Oh! In case you were wondering, this paper is the one referenced in the title of my first blog entry a long time ago. Am I totally screwed? Perhaps. But as I told my Grad Student Instructor, we Hoosier women are known to work a miracle or two.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm really touched that you're listening to "Daddy's Home."

    -your father

    ReplyDelete
  3. It took some time, but I was finally allowed to follow your blog.
    Check your mailroom. You have a package waiting for you.
    Good luck with your Tuesday paper.

    D/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Again, loving your blog. I did watch a G side video on You Tube.
    I hope the paper's moving along. Collecting the resources is a super important first step.

    As per our phone call today, I'll be using the verb "problematize" as much as possible tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. And also, I am quite sure I'm NOT a white supremacist American pseudo feminist. And I never will be!

    ReplyDelete
  6. problematize is a great word to use, as is hegemony. Try to get that in there a few times, Ros!! (p.s does that bug you when people call you Ros when you're not BFFs? Sometimes random people at work call me Kace, and I think that's kind of weird. But, not weird when my pals call me that.)

    I hope i'm not a white supremacist American pseudofeminist. I don't have de-veiling as a priority, so maybe that's a good sign?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I may start wearing the veil around.
    Just cause I feel like it.
    And also to problematize wsApf reaction to it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I got to hear the PunchBrothers live the other day. No one was wearing a veil so I didn't even think about it.
    jw

    ReplyDelete