Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Literacy Challenge, Thy Name is Queasiness.


I've actually toyed with the idea of blogging many times before. Last summer a very beautiful friend and I started one up to document our separation during college. It was formatted as an exchange of letters, but tapered off after a disagreement about appropriate audience.

The main reason I've avoided blogging up until now is fear about guilt (See: progeny of Catholic AND Jew- a psychoanalyst once remarked that the combo should be illegal). I don't like to feel guilty about things, but I do pretty often. Some of the things about which I feel guilt are books that people loan me I don't want to read, moving to California, falling behind on the news, listening to the same five stupid songs every day for the past eleven years instead of taking interest in new artists, and the very notion of owning pets. Sometimes I feel guilty just looking at other people's pets. Not because I worry they're neglected, but because I associate them with the guilt I would inevitably feel from the inevitable neglect from which my hypothetical pets would inevitably suffer.

I probably have a lot of guilt about white privilege, but I haven't taken a class about this yet so I can't tell you about it.

The point is, while I plan to blog/market the blog a lot more during the summer, the dedicated readership is gonna have to hold on in between blog posts. I'm sure you're all getting on with your lives. I'll try to do the same.

P.S. Today I read an essay by Steve Pile about modalities of resistance with relation to dominant spaces. I liked it. Now I have to read several more essays. So many pages. Each one dripping with guilt.

5 comments:

  1. Guilt is my middle name, but I was only raised Catholic. I can't imagine having the combo pack you're rocking.

    Blog on- when you have time! I'm keeping you on my list, your posts are hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't have guilt. Just blog more!

    Love you!

    8 days til Poem In your Pocket DAY!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will join your guilt club!

    Hopefully though, we can all band together and help each other, to the point where we can start dropping out of the guilt club (in search of other, healthier clubs!).

    I wasn't raised anything, and I still pack on the guilt like there's no time to feel it tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey I finally listened that poem you sent my way by Barbara Ras. SO GOOD! THANKS!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Many days have passed, so hopefully your "guilt" has also fled. Alas, I fear you are your mother's daughter.
    And, btw, you never have to read any books I give you. I won't ask.

    D/

    ReplyDelete