Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Happy Birthday, Andy


Andy, you are great. You are my oldest friend and always will be. Some of my favorite things about you are the following: your bass fingers, your chocolate recipes, your predilection for very soft shirts, your rendition of "I'll Follow You Into the Dark", and the care with which you plan camping trips. Some of my other favorite things about you are secrets.

Last year, your birthday was the first day of college that felt totally and completely impossible. And do I mean impossible. I didn't want to bring you down on your big day, so I called Kendra wailing like a banshee. It made no sense to be across the country when we'd been together for so many birthdays. This year I am still sad not to be at dinner with you and the people we love, but the time we've spent apart has confirmed the fact that we're more or less always gonna be together. I'm excited to see what your 20th year holds!

Your Indiana birthday is almost over, though I hope it'll carry over into your whole week. At any rate, you have a belated card in the mail and your birthday isn't over in California for another two hours. Thanks for being my brother, and I'm sorry for referring to you as Wombat Guy for eight straight months when we were seven. Won't happen again. I love you.

2 comments:

  1. Love this. Especially love that he's cool enough to have his own version of that song.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday to Andy. I was thinking we could revive Wombat Guy.
    Those were fun times.

    Check out the Indiana film I made on leeway.

    ReplyDelete