Wednesday, November 30, 2011

A thing happening to me right now




I'm in the Periodicals library, half-assing a final edit of my sub-par Jewish history paper and flipping through Kate Bolick's famous piece for the September 2011 Atlantic, "All the Single Ladies".

It's a little long so I'm kinda skimming for numbers and anecdotes I could drop in a conversation with my parents, as I have done with long articles in grown up magazines since time eternal. My hope is that this will make my parents think that I'm Sophisticated and News-Literate. Also, isn't it great to listen to the Moth podcast? Mom? Do you like that I do that? Do you think I'm smart?

Anyway. This article is tryna say, I think, that more women aren't getting married, that the reasons are complicated but understandable, and that women like the author and myself are gonna have to accept that while Getting Married might Happen To Us, it very likely might Not.

That's fine I guess.
Whatever.

4 comments:

  1. I sense kind of a double edged sword with the whole answering the questions scenario. Just try not to procrastinate too much. It can drive you a little bit into banana head land. Take it from one who knows.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, mom. I know!

    Sorry I didn't mean to put you on the spot.

    That was kinda rude.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am currently in banana head land.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That article bummed me out. Every gender-based Atlantic magazine opus tends to bum me out. Remember, 'The End of Men?' I think that one might have been even worse.

    ReplyDelete