Monday, March 19, 2012

Oakland Athletics

...Well, I was supposed to use this 90 minutes between work and my night class to edit an essay, but I guess I can use it to blog twice in a row instead.

I squandered most of my time already because when I got home I had an email saying that it's almost time for TELEBEARS!

Telebears is the best thing ever. Well, no. Actually, it's just the online program that Berkeley students use to sign up for classes. But it has the best name ever. In my head, I think about telebears as being the Giant Ass Gummy Bears in Gene Wilder's Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory.

Next semester I have to write a thesis, so I'm thinking of padding my schedule with some Physical Education classes. The problem is, unlike Jason Giambi of Oakland Athletic fame, I am not too good at sports. I've blogged about it in the past, but the point is, exercise usually makes me literally throw up.

I'm therefor limiting my choices to the courses labeled "Elementary". It looks like my options include Swimming, Basketball, 3 different kinds of Dance, 2 different kinds of Yoga, Aerobic Conditioning and Resistance.

Hmm. I was going to end this post with a request for recommendations. But Resistance seems pretty darn apropos, given my prior position on all things sporty. What is it? Can anybody tell me what it is?

6 comments:

  1. Nice tie in to Jason Giambi!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I hear resistance training, I think of those elastic jump rope things that you stretch and pull in all kinds of bizarre ways. I'm sure that's super helpful.

    For the record, you should totally take dance. The stories I have from my college ballet class, which was taught by a 70-year old former principal dancer named Vivian (a dude), are legendary.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yoga seems like a good thing too. I should try it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Everyone is talking about yoga these days. I'm not convinced that it's all that though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i think its where you push against immovable things like brick walls??

    ReplyDelete