Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Put a Poem in Your Pocket Day

It is Elaine's 21st birthday in two hours on Pacific time, but it already has been for 1 hour in Indiana and 6 hours in London. I'm not sure what the difference is in Florence.

It is also Put a Poem in Your Pocket Day in the same amounts of times.

Here are my Top 10 Poems of the Year.
They were not all written this year.
In fact, maybe none of them were.

Who knows?

1. Noon by Louise Gluck.
-Poems for PAPIYPD should be short and this one is not. Dorothy got the book for me, and before I told anyone I was in love, I told this poem I was.

2. Things Shouldn't Be So Hard by Kay Ryan
-Cynthia and I saw her read this in the Morrison Reading Room, which is very lucky.

3. Peace by C. K. Williams
- I used this for an assignment in GWS101: Doing Feminist Research. Not very well. The idea was to build an archive for peace the way Sara Ahmed does for happiness in The Promise of Happiness. I also talked about Jersey Shore.

4. Poem about My Rights by June Jordan
-is a very important poem by a Berkeley lady we love very much.

5. The Poet's Occasional Alternative by Grace Paley
-About a pie.

6 comments:

  1. I downloaded the PoemFlow app to my phone... check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did I tell you I wrote a midterm on that Jordan poem? I probably did. If my memory weren't so bad, it'd be easier to prove I have a good memory.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job with the poems. That Gluck is really lovely. And the pie poem is great too. And the life making rut marks? Yeah, I liked that too.

    I'll send you a good poem soon.

    Love you doll!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will read these poems pronto. thx for the recs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aw, Roz! I miss having you around for Put a Poem in Your Pocket Day :/ I'll just have to celebrate belatedly tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember you reading the first one out loud when I came to visit last fall.

    If you think you could make a career out of it, I feel like there are a lot of teenagers that need someone to sit and read that poem to them.

    ReplyDelete