Sunday, June 26, 2011

The Representatives


There are a lot of temperamental things in my life, like my involvement in my OWN blogging challenge, but something I count on to be great is Amy Poehler's NBC comedy "Parks and Recreation". I plan to watch it with Jenna and Josephine in real time when we're neighbors next year. Hopefully, it will gross us out less than Big Love.

Around the time Albee Grant was uttering "Round up all the dogs. Poison them", we were realizing that Big Love was not really an Us kind of a show. In contrast, Parks and Rec is the perfect Roz-Jenna-Josephine program, for its empowered female characters, affectionate mockery of the Hoosier state, and consistently hilarious one-liners.

Or so I thought! I'd been talking this show up to Adrian non-stop, which is why I was actually kind of excited when he showed up 6 minutes in to the Season 3 episode "Harvest Fest". I was pretty put out afterward, upon realizing that I had just screened the worst episode of Parks and Rec ever. Did this bad representation of my favorite show badly represent me?

I stressed about this intermittently for about 19 hours, until I went out for breakfast at Village Deli with Adrian today and sat next to -literally- the cutest kid at Y Camp. "Wow!" he said. "I didn't know you were here!"
"Me neither!" I replied gratefully. "But it's good to see you." Dollface's dad and I exchanged smiles, and I returned to my french toast, confident that via this shortstack-munching ambassador, my image had been restored. Thank god it wasn't the kid who kept correcting my gesturing during the Explorer song. That would have been disastrous.

3 comments:

  1. It's fun to see the kids away from the camp site. In the real world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you apologize repeatedly while watching the show, or did you suffer in silence??

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ KC the former, but also tryna play up all the funny lines as really really funny.

    ReplyDelete