Thursday, March 1, 2012

March Madness


I'm about to go to a talk called "The Male and Female Brain". I want to start blogging about more Gender and Women's Studies related stuff, so I thought I would start today, on the first day of March, right before I go to a talk called "The Male and Female Brain".

I hope the scientist-lecturer talks about evolution in this talk. When I'm watching the news, I love evolution! I think teaching evolution in schools is way better than not teaching evolution in schools. I'm politically evolutionary. Go Darwin!-- is all I'm tryna say.

...But the more social-scientific part of my Female Brain gets kinda queasy about the way people talk about evolution and gender. Like let's say you're a magazine, and you're tryna tell me that the reason I like making my boyfriend dinner is because back when my genes were inside of proto-humans, that's how proto-women got proto-men to protect them from proto-bear attacks. In that case, I might throw you in a recycling bin.

Or maybe that men like women with wide hips because their genetically predisposed to associate wide hips with having tons of babies that don't die. If you tell me that, I might say, what about men who don't like women with wide hips? Or guys who don't like women at all? I might say, You're making me feel totally weird right now.

As you can see, I am approaching this talk with a certain amount of skepticism. And also a certain amount of being late. So, I'll tell you how it goes.

2 comments:

  1. The good news is, Dr. Louann Brizendine, M.D. addressed my ? about evolutionary biology by describing the entire field as "a pretty low level of... thinking".

    The coolest things she said was, "The nature/nurture debate hides the fact that the shape and behavior of your brain changes as you're socialized!"

    Also, "You are an absolute dream audience member!" --She really said that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I had attended this talk. I'm going to google this gal.

    ReplyDelete