Friday, June 21, 2013

Ties That Bind

This week, when completing a filing project at work and utilizing four different sizes of binder clips, I remembered an altercation I'd had with Patrick when he and I were respectively serving as the managing editor and co-editor-chief of the Bloomington High School South Optimist newspaper. (DAMN that sentence has MAD information. Give yourselves a second. Continue.)

As Managing Editor, Patrick was always trying to change things up. As the Co-Editor-in-Chief, I was always trying to maintain our legacy of excellence. So when Patrick tried to restructure draft compilation by replacing our traditional paperclips with staples, I really had a cow. That was exactly the kind of thing that tended to get High School Rosalyn all worked up. That girl was always down to fight the good fight over office supplies. Gotta respect that.

Since this blog is technically a part of the Lee Heffernan Learning Challenge, I'd like to tell you that I learned not to sweat the small stuff on that fateful day in 2008. But really the learning didn't kick in until this week when, having run out of appropriately sized binder clips and switched to rusty, out-of-shape paperclips, I realized that staples really are better. After all this time, Patrick was right. It just goes to show you, listen to the winds of change.


Paul works on some coding, ensconced in two comforters and a Bloomington North sweatshirt on a couch in Indiana. Outside, it is 90 degrees. 

1 comment:

  1. I like your advice to listen to the winds of change. That's a solid suggestion.

    ReplyDelete