Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Bachelorette Party Foul


I've referenced and revered it, but the readership deserves a real response to the ABC franchise ruining my life.

I will freely admit (and, I think, have admitted) that I cannot and do not endorse ABC'S "The Bachelor" or its currently airing "spouse show", "The Bachelorette". I have more to say about this, but except that I think my friend is here to watch it with me, judging my the sound in the driveway. More on this point later.

...Aha! It is only GoddessMom who, like a good person, has declined to watch season 7 of B'ette, featuring cheery dental student and Brad Womack reject Ashley Hebert. This brings me to my number 1 point. Despite being a student of Gender and Women's Studies, an analyst of sexism in media and the kind of feminist who will be like 'Oh Come On, You're a Feminist' when you describe yourself as 'Not A Feminist', my major self-loathing as a B'ette aficionado isn't that it's patriarchal. It's that it's mean.

Last season's Bachelor Brad Womack won the heart of Southern Belle/Single Mom Emily, rejecting runner-up Chantal O. Something to be said for ABC pair of cash cows: the shows have gotta be among the most beautifully, or at least brilliantly, edited of all reality programs. Despite clues, it was nearly impossible to identify Emily as the winner before the big reveal. Even Reality Steve messed up.

I've watched more season of the Bachelor(ette) than I care to admit, but I'd never seen a finale so heartbreaking as Brad's dismissal of Chantal O. Viewers across the nation agreed that the goodbye seemed especially harsh. In the words of GoddessMom, "I'm never watching another season." In the words of MetaSwag, "Fuck this."

Hopefully, Ashley H. will not confuse anyone as much as Brad did last season. But I have little hope! The show will probably continue to destroy a lot more love than it creates. As for me, I can't begin to tell you how illogical and demeaning I find the experience of watching "The Bachelorette: Season 7". Because I'm only halfway done with the second episode. And we're going to Vegas!

4 comments:

  1. I used to watch the Bachelor/ette too, but my constant "WHAT THE F*CK IS HE/SHE DOING?!" drove all my girlfriends crazy, so I think I got uninvited to those gatherings...

    I'm pretty pumped to keep track of the season here on Indiana Rock, though - your recaps are way better than the real show!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanx Gina Marie! This season looks like sort of a snoozer, but hopefully I can keep the recaps snappy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. God, I'm hooked again this season. I hate myself pretty much every second I watch it, but I've started to tweet it.

    What is wrong with me?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. KC Imma livetweet next week! Had to hulu this week so it seemed lame to submit my opinions late. I'm with you, though, in that I'm pretty much over the whole "mask" thing.

    ReplyDelete