Wednesday, June 1, 2011

First Wednesday Movie Review


Reviewing movies makes me feel antsy. I bet you all think I am going to review "Bridesmaids", the movie I watched in a theater last week. I bet you think I'm going to talk about the politics of women writing and starring in Judd Apatow movies. I bet you think I'm going to talk about the intersection of comedy, femininity and weight in relation to the somewhat revolutionary, generally empowering and altogether hilarious character Megan, superbly portrayed by Melissa McCarthy (SavvyMom may know her as Sookie St. James from G-Girls). I bet you think I am going to share my own anxieties about someday having a wedding, and whether or not it will be hosted at local science museum WonderLab.

Actually, I am going to review a music video called "Swag City: Population Me".

This video is very great! It features 1 of my brother Quinn's musical projects, Rattle Snake and the Church of Fresh Beets. (Quinn plays bass). I always feel weird writing non-readers' names on my blog, but you can see the credits at the youtube page and will agree that everyone involved in this video deserves kudos. The song itself is great, and I laugh every time I see the rapper who isn't Rattle Snake jettison off into space. I also like it when Quinn is called "Quinntessential".

The wild part is, this vid is going semi-viral. When I started this blog post, it had 1,550 views after being up for less than four days. Half an hour later, it has 1,563 views. There's also an active comment discussion, though Quinn tells me the band knows all participants personally except a handful who've chimed in with slurs. Make no mistake, I'm no fan of slurs of any kind, but I do shake my head in amazement at the amount of circulation they almost assuredly imply. If people you don't know are watching your video and tearing it down, that must be good, right?

Anyway. I've watched it a ton of times.

4 comments:

  1. I'm in love with this video! I also appreciate the jettison into space, but I think I might appreciate the pregnancy test even more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this swag city video, but right now i want to write about 12 Rounds right over here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great vid. Quinntessential rocks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish Q weren't smoking in the video. He doesn't really smoke cigars, Readers of Indiana Rock.

    ReplyDelete